Welcome to Lecompton Kansas
Lecompton was founded in 1854 and platted on a bluff on the south bank of the Kansas River. It was originally called "Bald Eagle," but then later changed to Lecompton in honor of Samuel D. Lecompte, the chief justice of the territorial supreme court. In 1855, the town... read more
2013 Bleeding Kansas Lecture Series
A series of talks and dramatic interpretations on the violent conflict over the slavery issue in Kansas Territory 1854 through 1861. 2pm, Sundays at Constitution Hall. More information about the 2013 Bleeding Kansas Lecture Series.
Historic Lecompton featured in New York Times Arcticle
Historic Lecompton was recently featured on Fox 4 KC
Lecompton Historical Society president Paul Bahnmaier discusses the city of Lecompton along with the new motion picture, "Lincoln."
Battle of Fort Titus
Video of a reenactment of the Battle of Fort Titus, recorded at Territorial Days 2012.
Where is Lecompton?
Located on the bank of the Kaw River, in between Topeka, the State capital, and Lawerence, the abloitionist headquarters during Bleeding Kansas, Lecompton was at the center of territorial and national politics during the 1850's.
Download a copy of the Historic Lecompton Kansas informational brochure.
Return the Capital
In August 1855, the territorial legislature meeting at the Shawnee Indian Mission voted to make Lecompton the permanent capital city of Kansas Territory. For nearly six years Lecompton served as the only official capital city. But by 1861 and statehood, the capital was removed to Topeka.
Lecompton was founded in 1854 and platted on a bluff on the south bank of the Kansas River. It was originally called "Bald Eagle," but then later changed to Lecompton in honor of Samuel D. Lecompte, the chief justice of the territorial supreme court.
Stop by the Territorial Capital/Lane Museum to pick up your free "Return Capital to Lecompton" bumper sticker.
Camp Sackett: Ground Zero in 1856, A Quarry in 2005?
Read about the efforts by the Lecompton Historical Society to prevent the Camp Sackett site from becoming a mining quarry here.
The Bald Eagle archives now available online
The Bald Eagle is the quarterly publication of the Lecompton Historical Society. The publication includes in-depth articles about the major role Lecompton played as the capital of Kansas Territory and the significant impact it had in the coming United States Civil War. Also included are histories of surrounding communities, churches, schools, early settlers, local celebrations and other articles related to the Territorial Capital of Kansas.
View Bald Eagle archives.
Middle School Fieldtrip - History Standards Program
The Fort Titus Cabin
The Lecompton Historical Society, with funds generously provided by the Wayne and Maybelle Slavens Hall Fund, has constructed a representation of Henry Titus' cabin that sits 100 yards southeast of the Museum. It was designed collectively by the Lecompton Historical Society's Board of Directors. See the pictures.
Photos from the Hunley Crew Funeral
On April 17, 2004, a funeral services were held for the Hunley Crew in Charleston. Howard Duncan took several great pictures of the service and the period clothing.
Upset Victory at Mahaffie: Kansas Free State Party Prevails
On April 17 & 18, 2004, Mahaffie Stagecoach Stop and Farm in Olathe hosted "Civil War on the Border." Over 2,800 spectators attended this free, weekend festival and over 100 Civil War reenactors, territorial civilian reenactors, period sutlers, pioneer skill demonstrators, and musicians participated... read more
Lecompton in the News
Lecompton was recently featured in a Slate Magazine Article.
Lecompton Reenactors and Gov. Kathleen Sebelius
At the request of Governor Kathleen Sebelius, the Lecompton Reenactors performed in the Kansas Statehouse on Kansas Day, January 29th, 2004. View a larger photo of the Lecompton Reenactors in the governor's office.